Are you looking to set up online exams on your WordPress site?
While traditional exams are great for testing your user’s knowledge, online exams make it infinitely easier to do the same thing in a much more cost-effective way. You can create an engaging and interactive exam experience on your WordPress site without having to rely on booking a venue or hiring exam invigilators.
However, since WordPress by default doesn’t offer such functionality, you will have to use a dedicated WordPress exam plugin.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best WordPress online exam plugins so it’s easier for you to decide on the right one for your business.
Why use a WordPress online exam plugin?
Online exam plugins let you quickly test the learner’s knowledge with quizzes and tests directly from your WordPress site.
As compared to a traditional offline or in-person quiz, it’s a much better way to conduct tests because they reduce the need for physical resources like paper and a venue for students to take the exam.
Let’s talk about some of the major benefits of using a WordPress online exam plugin for your organization:
- Save time. Online quizzes not only save your learners time but also reduce the time it takes you to create online exams and conduct them.
- Reduce costs. Without having to worry about paying costs associated with renting a venue or printing exam question papers, you reduce the costs needed to host exams for testing your learners’ knowledge.
- Easily manageable and more secure. Online exams are much more secure as compared to traditional quizzes and make it easier for organizations to manage and host online exams.
- Make learning more engaging. You can offer a more visually-pleasing user experience for your learners instead of simply giving them a piece of paper with questions.
Hosting online exams on your WordPress site can be useful in several ways. You can set up practice exams that are not timed to help learners prepare for a timed mock exam. You can also host exams to conduct standardized testing for your learners. Organizations can also use online exams as a way to set up and conduct questionnaires for users.
Top 5 WordPress exam plugins
Ideally, you want to choose a WordPress exam plugin according to your brand’s unique requirements.
These are the main features to look for in a robust WordPress exam plugin:
- User-friendly. Depending on your level of tech-savviness, you want to go for a plugin that makes the quiz creation process simple and straightforward.
- Creating multiple types of quizzes. You want to have the ability to create multiple types of quizzes. This way, you can change things up and make your online exams more interesting.
- Gamification features. Gamification features such as timed quizzes or points quizzes can make your online exams even more interactive and fun for your learners.
- Speed and responsiveness. You want to ensure that the online exams created with your plugin of choice are fully responsive on all devices, especially if you’re creating timed quizzes.
With a better idea of what features to look for in a WordPress exam plugin, let’s go over our top five picks:
#1. Quiz Maker
Quiz Maker is a professional WordPress exam plugin that’s designed to let you create fully customizable online tests and exams to test your learner’s knowledge.
The plugin lets you create multiple types of exams including MCQ tests, question-answer exams, scored tests, IQ tests, trivia questions, and even diagnostic tests. You can add as many questions to your exams as you’d like and there’s also no restriction on how many students or learners can join your online exam.
- Multiple types of exam creation features make it easier to create more interactive and engaging online exams on your WordPress site.
- You can also create “private” or password-protected online exams. This makes it easier to only let specific user roles on your WordPress site access premium exams and helps prevent students from cheating on tests.
- The free version offers limited functionality.
Quiz Maker is the ideal WordPress online exam plugin for organizations and brands that want access to advanced exam features but don’t care about marketing or lead generation tools.
#2. Quiz Cat
Quiz Cat is a simple-to-use WordPress exam plugin that offers features for creating interactive and engaging online tests.
It makes it very easy to create fun quizzes on your WordPress site. You have the option to create personality quizzes and share them on social media. The idea behind creating fun quizzes is that they help your exam gain more popularity and get more eyes on your organization or brand.
- While you can create personality quizzes, it also lets you set up advanced exams like weighted quizzes. This means you can text your learners’ knowledge more interactively and engagingly rather than asking them yes/no questions.
- Fully supports integration with popular email marketing plugins including MailChimp, AWeber, GetResponse, and Active Campaign.
- There’s no free option and the basic version doesn’t include advanced functionality such as weighted quizzes.
Quiz Cat is a great option for brands that are looking to generate more traffic or grab more attention from new students and learners with the use of social media online exams.
Quiz And Survey Master is a popular WordPress online exam plugin that lets you create multiple types of online quizzes.
You can create multiple-choice tests, text question-answer tests, and true and false quizzes. You also have the option to fully customize the text for your online exams using pre-designed templates and design exam elements according to your brand’s unique aesthetics.
- Flexible options for setting up online exams and customizing them according to your organization’s unique requirements.
- Automatic exam test result email functionality so you don’t have to send dozens of emails after every online exam.
- The plugin offers a confusing interface for setting up online exams and can be difficult for new WordPress users to take advantage of the customizability of the plugin.
Quiz And Survey Master is the perfect option if you’re looking for a plugin that lets you set up advanced online exams that can be customized according to your brand’s unique aesthetics.
#4. HD Quiz
HD Quiz is a free-to-use WordPress online exam plugin that works great for creating attractive-looking and responsive online quizzes on your WordPress site.
Using the plugin you can create unlimited quizzes on your WordPress site and customize elements of your online exam such as adding images for questions, tooltip images, and social media share buttons.
- Fully responsive on all devices including mobile and tablet.
- You have the option to choose from multiple types of questions for your online exam and can add unlimited questions to each exam.
- Features can be limiting, especially if you’re looking to set up weighted quizzes or other types of “fun” quizzes.
HD Quiz is a solid WordPress exam plugin for brands that are looking for a simple yet powerful plugin that’s also free to use.
#5. Chained Quiz
A worthy mention, Chained Quiz is a WordPress exam plugin that allows you to create conditional logic-based online exams.
There are no limitations on the total number of quizzes and questions you can create using the plugin. Chained Quiz lets you create a more interactive exam experience for your learners. Using conditional logic rules, you can hide or show questions based on your learners’ answers to the previous question.
- Intuitive first setup and is free to download and use on any WordPress site.
- Lets you create a more interactive learning experience with conditional logic-based unique quizzes.
- Chained Quiz is a fairly new plugin so it might have some integration issues with other plugins on your WordPress site.
Chained Quiz is the ideal option for your brand if you’re looking to create more interactive and conditional logic-based online exams for your learners.
Bonus: the best WordPress plugin for creating online courses
While you can use an online exam plugin to set up quizzes and tests on your WordPress site, if you want a full online learning platform, you will also need a plugin to enroll your users or audience members and even create and sell online courses.
For this, we recommended using the Paid Member Subscriptions, one of the best plugins for setting up online courses and restricting premium course content on your WordPress site.
Using the plugin, you can quickly set up private online courses on your WordPress site and sell them to your audience members. You can easily create subscription plans users can subscribe to in order to get access to your courses.
You can also restrict content on any page of your WordPress site. This means you are able to ask users to register on your site in order to gain access to your courses. You can even monetize your courses and put them behind a paywall for subscribed users only.
You can also redirect unauthorized users to the registration page or the payment page for your online course.
In order to monetize and sell your courses, the Paid Member Subscriptions plugin also lets you accept one-time or recurring payments from your learners using some of the most popular payment processors including PayPal and Stripe.
You can get started with the free version of the plugin to test out the waters. When you’re ready to take things to the next level, you can upgrade to the premium version of the plugin to make use of advanced features like content dripping, group memberships, and additional payment options.
With a WordPress online exam plugin, you can start creating online quizzes and effectively testing your learner’s knowledge more securely and interactively than traditional offline exams.
While it’s important to choose an online exam plugin that best suits your brand’s unique needs, you might also want to have a place where people can learn and study for your quizzes. For this, you can use a dedicated online course plugin to create the best learning experience possible. If you’re looking to also earn some money with your well-thought courses, Paid Member Subscriptions is the way to go as it lets you restrict your lessons to paying members only.
Do you have any questions about how to pick the right WordPress exam plugin? Let us know in the comments section below!
Subscribe to get early access
to new plugins, discounts and brief updates about what’s new with Cozmoslabs!